BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 22, 2009

Brick Kilns...

The Jewish writer Chaim Potok says that this earth is exhausted, I’m inclined to agree with him. I went to the Brick Kilns outside of Dakha a few days ago. It was the closest thing to slave labor I have ever seen. Fat men under black umbrellas overseeing other men carrying bricks, mud or lumbar. When I asked them if I could take pictures they agreed and began bragging about how many men they “had”. One would say, “I have 300”, another, “200 of these are mine”, I’m not sure they realized that they were talking about other men, humans, image bearers. My God, these are people.

Tell me, what does love do in this situation?

I’m not sure. I am gradually becoming more and more aware that Love breathes, aches, and doesn’t shut its eyes…it bears witness and it endures the sights it beholds. Love delivers all these internal sighs to God. I also learned that a smile goes a long way.

Sometimes I can’t believe I’m here, and more often than not, I’m at a loss as what I should do or pray. I’m devastatingly aware that none of this is about me, yet still, I am a witness to what I see.

It will happen again tomorrow, injustice is a constant in this life, like memory. We all suffer from a curvature of the soul, yet God has chosen to work within creation gently straightening that which is bent. I’m encouraged by that.

Oh God, make Christ great among us.

In other news I have been daily playing soccer at the local park. After we finish I call them together in the middle of the field to tell them a few parables. It’s exciting and a little scary all at once. Yesterday I had one of them confront me a little angrily telling me to convert to Islam…crazy times. Yesterday as I was watching them kick the ball around before we started I looked at them individually, seeing the way they laughed, grimaced, yelled, winced…these boys need Jesus…as much as we need him every day. Please pray for their souls, God desires them. I’m sorry if this update is a little scattered. Maybe next time I’ll tell you how the actual internship is going. Haha. Here are a few pics from the brick kilns, more are posted on facebook.






1 comments:

Oxygen Hardware Guru said...

any photos of the soccer matches?